Rebeka was not reading very well in school. Her strength does not lie in memorization. She was being taught how to read by memorizing lots of words. Unfortunately she was not reading well at all. I feel that in order to read, one needs to know how words are made and why letters sound the way they do. I was not taught these rules so I at the moment could not teach them to her. I came across an A Beka homeschooling phonics book at Deseret Industries. Thankfully, only the first few pages had been used and there wasn't anything on them that she didn't already know. This workbook includes all of the spelling rules and special sounds. Wow, has it made a difference. We have been using this book for two weeks now and she can finally read. When she comes upon a word she doesn't know I say something to her like 'What's the rule when there is an e on the end of a word' and she'll tell me. She'll then mentally or with her finger mark all of her vowels and sound out the word correctly. She has caught on so well and I'm so proud of her for her accomplishments. She is quickly rolling through her learning and sometimes I wonder if her behavioral problems were 1. She couldn't read and 2. She was bored out of her mind. There are still some things she struggles with. She can't be good at everything but I'm thankful I'm able to take the time with her that she needs so she can properly understand. It's exciting to watch her learn and grow and increase her knowledge and understanding. She has a love for learning and I pray she'll always maintain that love as she goes through her life.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment