Friday, March 27, 2009

Raw Sugar


If you haven't read my other blog then let me share with you that I am on a quest to live my life as God intended esp. in regards to food. Natural and wholesome, not man-made from some lab experiment. In my research today on sugar I read on Wikipedia about the process that sugar cane goes through to reach my table as refined sugar. Let me just say, I was totally appalled! Just like everything else chemicals (not surprisingly) are added to get the sugar refined and white. This includes brown sugar (stuff used in cookies). To my amazement though I also read about raw sugar. Here's the basic process. The juices are extracted through pressing from the sugar cane. Lime is added to purify the juice, then the juice is sent through a water evaporation machine (no chemicals needed) and then spun around in another machine (again no chemicals involved). The final product is raw sugar. This sugar looks like light brown crystals (not the cookie kind). There you have it. Sugar with no chemical added. You can read all about the process of sugar here. After a little more research I was again surprised that raw sugar actually has some health benefits that refined sugars don't. You can read about that here. As always, please do further research on your own so you can be sure that you are satisfied with your findings and feel confident to apply them to your life if it be your choosing. I for one, will be switching to raw sugar.

1 comments:

Kelly McCurdy said...

Hey Tasha,
It's Kelly McCurdy! Thanks so so so much for all your help with helping us pack. We live in Utah now. Let's just say we are still finding our place to be. Nothing final or definite yet with either the housing thing or a job but we have been very hopeful. Hopefully soon. Here is my phn.# 801-819-0881 and we are coming down for a family reunion from May 22nd to the 25th maybe we can hang out for a couple of hours one of those days. Keep in contact if you want here's my blog also mccurdyfamily6.blogspot.com. Talk with you later.