Here's how this homeschooling idea got started. A few months ago I was soul searching. Trying to find out my place in the big scheme of things as a wife, mother, homemaker, and daughter of our Heavenly Father. I did a lot of research through the scriptures, homemaking articles and bloggs, the ensign and other church articles. I finally started to understand my place. One of the chords that really struck me was that it is my job (as well as my husbands) to teach our children. I pondered immensely on that and realized that I did not have the time with my daughter that I would like to take to teach her. She's gone for 7 hours a day only to come home, eat dinner, relax for a little while, do homework, and go to bed. That left me only two days a week to really teach her. Sure there are opportunities in every momment, but not to the extent I would like to take. I started to feel like public schooling was a government funded day care for older children. The government through teachers was taking more time to teach my children than I was. The sad thing is they would end up learning things before they could really understand them (lesbians, gays, sex, you get the picture). About two weeks ago I read an article in the newspaper of a state back east that talked about a father who was arrested for refusing to allow his kindergarten child to take home a book about lesbians. KINDERGARTEN!!! Our children are not safe anymore. They are learning the ways of Satan by being taught that this stuff is o.k., socially accepted, and bad if you don't conde these life styles. I remember in my highschool sex ed class my teacher wasn't allowed to talk about abstinence and you could get a free condom from the nurses office. The belief is that they're going to do it anyways so we might as well teach them how to do it safely. GARBAGE!!! These are not the values I want my children to be taught. Will I teach them about STD'S, protection, and birth control? Yes, when they are old enough, depending on the topic, to ask me questions about it and gain an understanding. Of course this would be younger than I would like, but I want them to know more than enough to make their own choices. Too many times we as parents say, "because I said so" without telling why. We think it doesn't matter, but they can't make a proper choice if we don't educate them so they think there's no harm and we're just overprotective. That's why our children rebel. I want my children armed with the knowledge to make their own choices, to decide their own path. I firmly believe that if they know the ins and outs, ups and downs, they will make the right choice. Who would want to drive up a hill knowing there is nothing on the other side but harm or even death. I know I wouldn't. There's also the problem of violence in the schools like shootings, drugs, stabbings, gang violence (which I was a victim of in 6th grade) and other issues. It's happening more and more. I know that anything could happen to anyone, but there's less of a chance at home. No, I'm not trying to shelter my children, but I would rather have them learn from the outside instead of being directly involved. Back on topic, Seth and I discussed this and brought to him all my points. He was excited to try it so the rest of this year will be my trial period. I have decided that I don't want to try to do it, I'm going to do it for all my children until they have graduated home schooling (around 17,18). I have a long term plan to do this. I feel it is my responsibility, and my obligation to teach my children. I have received confirmation from the Spirit, and I'll tell you I can count on one hand the times I have felt the Spirit burn so strong in my heart. My Father in Heaven has told me this is the plan he has for me and my children regarding their education. At times when the world seems to question me and Satan enters my mind I remind myself of the fire I felt I know once again this is what I am to do. You can argue logic all you want with me, but you can't argue with the Holy Ghost. So, on Monday, September 15th my journey begins. It won't be easy, but anything worth it in the end never is.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment